We had a fruitful meeting concerning the real plight of Asylum Seekers. It was well attended.
Key issues discussed include:
- the right to work for asylum seekers
Shiellah from ZHRO
- detention system
- signing in and how individuals get picked up by immigration officers
- high legal costs for those appealing denied cases
- mental health issues
- vulnerable people
- long term illnesses
What can be done
- Lift the ban( on employment) which has already started
- Petition to be started on grant amnesty to all undocumented migrants so they can be self sufficient.
- Campaign with councils to fund a programme with CAB to give free legal help to those asylum seekers , refugees and immigrants
- Work with housing societies, to get supported housing for refugees.
- Raise awareness through empowerment programme
- Create sign in solidarity system which can support those signing in
- Here in Cambridge we have one central point, the main police station.
- Mobilisation of people with influence.